Thursday, February 17, 2011

Snow Day

Today was a snow day. Well, sort of. It was really more of a slippery day. Because the roads have one side that goes straight up and one side that goes straight down, if there is any snowfall, they pretty much close everything. So, my school was closed. And, of course, I took the opportunity to go shopping. (Recently a friend from Milwaukee had suggested that she needed some retail therapy and I thought it sounded like a good idea!)

As I walked down the hill/road to the taxi stop to catch a cab to town, I noticed a long line of trucks stopped on the road on the other side of the small valley. When I caught the taxi, I asked why the trucks were stopped. The driver replied that the Pass was closed. It was such a sight to see trucks lined up waiting for the Pass to open.

I had arranged to meet a friend after school and go with him to get data sticks. (Data sticks are equivalent to Wi-Fi but at turtle speed - the speed of dial-up!) I texted him to say I was free all day and we met up an hour later at a coffee shop.(Did I forget to mention that I now have a cell phone?) We proceeded to go get our data sticks, which in itself was quite an adventure. (Did I ever explain that the Bhutanese really have no concept of a line!) After an hour, I emerged with a smile on my face, feeling rather self confident. However, that feeling was short lived. When I got home and tried the dumb thing, it worked sometimes. So, maybe if I let it sit for awhile, it will come to it's senses.

So, school tomorrow, but not really. Since Monday is the King's birthday, and he has declared it Education Day, we are practicing for a program that will take place on Monday. After that, we have 2 days of holidays and then the really teaching begins.
So, until further notice, I will sign off. I will attempt to post this weekend, hopefully.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Sue, I love your blog! YOU have a cell phone? I think you know where just froze over ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree "it" most certainly has frozen over. And not only a cell phone but texting! I'm so proud of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even know you knew what texting was! So it takes going halfway around the world to a technologically stunted country for you to get a cell phone! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete